Robert Earl Clifton Hillson began the business in 1935. The Hillson Nut Company was born of a strong work ethic and commitment to providing a superior product for regular and wholesale customers alike. Vastly popular in the old fashioned creamery's of the day, used as toppings on sundaes or mixed directly into the ice cream itself. Upon the enormous success of Hillson Nut, Robert (one of twelve children born to immigrants George Hillson and Rose Burnham of the Boston area) brought his brother Edward in to help run things alongside him.
By 1956, the business had grown considerably and more space was needed. The Hillsons moved the business to its current location on West 71st Street. This historical building once housed an enormous power generator to convert the coal fired trains to electric power for cleaner air within the city as part of the Cleveland Terminal Project in the 1930's.
Edward Hillsons children began working in the family business as soon as they were able, and served as the President (Richard Hillson), Vice President (Ed Hillson), and Customer Relations Manager (Teddi Hillson) for over 50 years.
Today Anne Kennedy, granddaughter of founder Robert Hillson has stepped in to the role of President. She takes pride in maintaining the integrity and quality of Hillsons products and values as a local Cleveland business.